Frustrating February

Mar 06

Frustrating February

Frustrating February (06.03.16)

After January ended with the high of the windows being fitted unfortunately February has been full of frustration.

The insulation and render should have begun straight away but the materials weren’t delivered until the 11th. The scaffolding then went up on the 12th and we thought work would begin on the 15th but despite many attempts to speak to my contact at the company doing it, calls weren’t returned and work didn’t get under way and a start date wasn’t provided. Fed up with it all we spoke to the office twice on Monday the 21st and the work men then arrived that day to begin work.  Two days later and the two side elevations were insulated and the base coat of render applied. Then after a visit by the manufacturer’s technical guy on Wednesday it became apparent the front facade couldn’t be done as planned and it needed the whole elevation to be render boarded. The boarding was ordered and arrived on the Friday and it was arranged for the work men to return on the Saturday to board and base coat the front and to do our window box. We discovered our contact had neglected to order any fixings to fit the boards so in the interest of trying to get things resolved quickly I agreed to get the fixings.  We were advised which screws to get which necessitated us visiting three different screw fix stores to get enough screws.  Then on Saturday the installers did a test and discovered the screws didn’t hold into the blocks which meant we had to return to the three branches of Screw Fix he visited the previous day to exchange the screws for different ones.

In addition to this the box surrounding the front window which has been discussed on numerous occasions with the installation company and I had been assured wouldn’t pose a problem hadn’t been thought through properly and the installers recommended that it should be made of wood and then clad in render board, necessitating yet another trip to get materials.

Despite all of the above the workmen completed the boarding and window box and got it base coated on the Saturday. They did a great job and it really did transform the front elevation. It was arranged they would return on the Monday to apply the primer and top coat, and all finally seemed to be coming together.

Having finally had time to absorb what had gone on during the week, I had become a little suspicious of the top coat product we had. The technical guy had been pointed out it shouldn’t be kept outside in freezing temperatures, something it had been doing since delivery on the 11th and I had been told a winter formula render was being used due to the time of year and the weather conditions.

I decided to look into this further to discover the product we had been sent wasn’t the winter formula at all. Armed with this info I called my contact first thing on Monday to discuss this, he said it was too cold to do the top coat today for either products but maintained we had the right product, when I pointed out it should have a different name and be in yellow tubs not white and he said he would look into it and come back to me. Shortly after this the workmen arrived and I informed them of my conversation they then called the guy and the message came back to me he was going to order the correct product and they would return to complete the work later in the week once it had been delivered. The workmen painted on the primer whilst here and left for the day.

Of course my contact didn’t call me back and after anticipating delivery would happen by Wednesday and nothing arrived I called the workmen to tell them it hadn’t arrived yet. I was then told he had heard from my contact and he was saying it is the correct product again.

This was the final straw and we finally felt we had no choice but to contact the company director with a complaint about the way our installation was being managed and gave them 24 hours to respond. I did get an initial response quickly however I was told it was going to be looked at by another director and had to chase again the following day before hearing from him.

The current state of play is that he is going to speak to the person we were dealing with and look into all the issues raised and come back to me tomorrow.

It remains to be seen if he will rectify things quickly so that the rendering can be completed.

 

 

 

Read More