Garden Office – End of Year Progress Update

Dec 31

31st December 2016

Four months have passed since my previous update and with 2016 coming to an end I thought I should finally share with you the progress that we have made.

We ordered the window and patio doors from slideandfold.co.uk and once delivered my brother in law helped myself and my husband to install them. Having not installed windows before we found the process time consuming and the instructions were lacking some details and parts of the process weren’t covered. After much time, frustration, a little brute force and some crossed words we finally got both installed. I am not sure I would recommend doing this to anyone else thinking of trying it but as we needed to keep spending as low as possible we didn’t have much of a choice.

After deliberating on the options for the finished roofing and whether to get someone in to do it or not we finally decided to take the plunge and go for a EPDM roof and install it ourselves. It meant we could have the longevity that EPDM provides but keep costs down by installing it ourselves.

We went with a product called ClassicBond, they provide online tutorials showing the various components needed and how to install them. We ordered all the materials online going with the thicker 1.5mm membrane. Once delivered, we followed the process, as shown online, gluing the membrane into place and all went well. You do have to be careful to eliminate any air bubbles and whilst we have a few we were happy overall with the result.

I had decided to have my first go at tiling and set about tiling the floor of the shed. I found I got pretty messy and got frustated with myself trying to get every tile perfectly level, but actually the end result isn’t too bad at all and I am pleased with myself for doing it.

Next my husband had the challenge of preparing the outside lighting. I had decided I wanted colour changing leds installed on the outside overhang and settled on 9 separate strips. This meant 9 strips of led tape needed 4 cables soldering to each of them (R,G,B and Common). My husband was cursing me over this as it wasn’t the easiest of tasks but when we eventually got them all wired up and tested we could see it is was well worth the effort. Pictures to follow in my next post, once the electrics supply has been installed.

Next we had the rendering guys in to render the building. First they needed to install render board over areas with plywood such as the overhang, overhead structures linking the columns to the building and the perimeter edge of the roof.  Next came the base coat and primer followed by the top coat. December isn’t the ideal time of year for doing this due to the reduced amount of daylight hours and unpredictable weather but eventually it was completed the week before Christmas. This has really transformed the structure into the modern feature for our garden that I had envisioned when I designed it.

To start 2017 off we will be cladding the interior of the shed section and adding storage hooks etc for bikes, tools etc.

The plastering in the office section needs to be done and the electric supply connected.

We then plan to clad the front wall, at some point in 2017.

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterest

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ten − seven =